Sunday, May 29, 2005

Soccer

A while back I explained my aversion to the idea of my kids playing soccer. In that post, I claimed that if Will ever asked to play, I'd sign him up. Well, I'm going on record in stating that he has now asked, and I have agreed. The Little League season has come to an end, and last week he was telling me that he doesn't want to play tee ball again next year. I said that was fine -- after all, he can't play tee ball next year, as he'll be too old, and Ryan and I have our doubts about his ability to move up to farm level next year, so it's probably just as well. I asked him what other sports or activities he might like to do instead, and soccer came up. "Soccer is cool," he said, when I asked him if he'd like to play, and for a moment I was worried that he was trying to tell me that he wasn't cool enough to play. But it turned out he was merely expressing his enthusiasm about the idea. Unfortunately (heh heh) it's too late to sign him up for the fall season (Ryan and my friend Sharon's husband, John, expressed surprise when I mentioned this, and Sharon and I exchanged knowing looks. Foolish men! They'd never make it as moms in this town). But he can play next spring, and I've heard the spring season is much less intense than the fall season, so that will probably be a good time for him to start. When Ryan and I discussed it amongst ourselves, he mentioned that Will had said he wanted to play because "you get to move more" than in baseball. That is certainly true.

Anyway, I just wanted to go on record as saying that, unless he changes his mind or is very involved in some other activity by then, my son will be playing soccer next spring. But I still don't think I'm a bad mom for not signing him up earlier.

1 comment:

alittleposy said...

I don't know if you asked either. I don't know if *I* asked to play at first, actually! I do know I was talked into playing a second year after hating the first, though Mom denies it now...