Thursday, May 12, 2005

My hair

I had my hair cut last Friday. The whole time we were in Hawaii, it looked gruesome and knowing that I had an appointment to get it colored and cut the day after we got home was very psychologically helpful to me. I went in and told my hairdresser I wanted it off, and she and I discussed it and then she started cutting and I ended up with a short layered cut that I liked a lot, something I thought was pretty different from what I had before.

And then, over the next several days, I saw lots and lots of people I know, and maybe 2 of them said anything about it.

Naturally, after a couple of days, I started to get paranoid. I began to worry that it was such a hideous new 'do that everyone had noticed and no one wanted to say anything. I knew this was stupid because of all the times I've told people I liked their new haircuts (or outfits or shoes or whatever) when I really didn't but I'm a nice person and they had a new haircut (or a new outfit or new shoes) and having a compliment about it would make them feel good. And I knew that even if people didn't think my new haircut was wonderful, there was no way it was so horrible that people were just averting their eyes as though I'd been disfigured in some way.

In any case, obviously the truth is that, in spite of how different this haircut feels to me, it's not different enough for most people I encounter at school or whatever have even noticed. Even my good friend I ran into last night said "I like your hair -- it's different, right?" Uh, yeah. *sigh* It seems the rest of the world is not as obsessed with the state of my hair as I am...

No comments: